Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Planning permission

Do I need planning permission?

This depends on the nature of the work involved.. Minor alterations and extensions to your house can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development and is usually restricted to extensions which do not exceed 5m from the rear of the existing house. It may also depend on whether your house has been extended in the past.

There may be other circumstances which may affect the need for permission, so it always wise to ask the Local Planning Authority before you do anything. If you are employing an architect or other building professional, they should be able to advise you.Even if you don’t need planning permission you will almost certainly need Building Regulation Approval.For further information please contact the planning team at ESBC

You can also find a wealth of information on planning matters on the Planning Aid website.

Other requirements

Having gained planning permission does not necessarily mean you can legally start work.

If the work involves foundations or other excavations within 3 metres and in some cases 6 metres of your neighbour’s property or other construction then you will almost certainly require a written agreement with your neighbour in accordance with the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

This Act protects both you and your neighbours during any home extensions or improvements – Failure to follow the correct procedures could land you with a hefty bill.

This requirement is separate from and does not form part of the planning process, therefore you will not necessarily be informed about this important piece of legislation by the planning authority. Even some architects and many builders are not aware of this process For more information see our Home extensions guide.